Monday, April 25, 2011

Modern Alice Wedding Cake!

Soo...this was the Wedding Cake Finale @ FCI! (about 1 month before grad.) The level below ours got to pick our theme. And that theme they chose was Tim Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland'. But you see, it's no 'Ordinary' cake! it is in fact true behind the scenes of it all..I think the one of the Writer's of it proposed to his girlfriend (who also worked on the movie)..So we had to make their Wedding Cake according to all the details Lev. 2 Pastry were inspired to give to us. They even made a Wedding Album. Our class did the same for the level above us as well! We chose a classmate's Wedding in Brooklyn (where she was really getting married)..I wanted to add a whole bunch of eye popping color, and add a Vintage touch to it as well.
This is a White Cake, a very rich and stable cake. Probably the best recipe to use if you're going to do a tiered cake. Chances are, it won't collapse, break, fall, taste gross, etc.! That is if you read your recipe right :).

*Gather, Mix, Bake, Wrap..(Day 1! CAKE)
*Fondant making + Passion Fruit Buttercream(love it, Day 2!)
*Pastillage making + Assembling Cake (Day 3, one more day!)
*Adding all final touches and embelishments! (JUDGING!)

Keep in mind these 'So-called Days' are only 5hours. HA! And with classmates waiting in line to do things..it can get aggravating!
The Fondant roses were made before class started, so I got them out of the way..no worries.
I was so psyched! After waiting in line to use the Edible 'Spray' gun, it was finally MY turn! I brought in a stencil from home. Hoping it wouldn't run, I stepped back in angst and started to Shoot my bottom tier. (Yay!)..a little blotchy, but I think it was due to looking ever so closely and critiqing my own work. So to touch it up a bit with a fine tip paintbrush..that did the job and well done.

I still have my little Pastillage Tea Cup and plate :)..it is on my vanity <3 I did toss the mini fondant roses out though. I would have some little unwanted friends in my apt. if I decided to let those hang around. I enjoy making little knick-knacks in my spare time out of Pastillage. I recently made a little garden gnome and painted him with Stradler markers. It is like a Grown-ups play-doh!.. Below is a Easy Step By Step Recipe!
They don't mention this on the site, But when you want to wrap some extras..make sure its in a log shape and you wrap a damp washcloth and/or towel around it before the plastic wrap! it WILL dry out. Then refrigerate. I still have some in mine for well over 4mos. Ha


Unfortunately I did not get the prize for the Winner of the Cake Competition. But a great girl, Kaitlyn did! She made some BEAUTIFUL, Gumpaste (deep purple) roses and kept it very simple. Sometimes simplicity just does it all, with an edge...

1 comment:

  1. That cake looks beautiful! I'm FCI alumn too (from Culinary Arts).

    ReplyDelete